Last summer I had two different posts showing how to sun dye mini-skeins of yarn with kool aid. If you missed them you can find them HERE and HERE. Well, I’ve been crushing on those tone on tone kettle dyed yarns and was wondering if I could duplicate these with kool aid. I tried a skein of sock yarn and worsted weight (both 100% wool – NOT superwash). Check out my results (I think it turned out pretty cool!)
The blue is much more subtle than the orange but I absolutely LOVE them both. So how did I do this? It’s super easy! Here’s how.
Solar “Kettle Dyed” Yarn w/Kool Aid
- Skein of natural protein-fiber based yarn (wool and silk work best)
- 4-6 packages of 2 different flavors of Kool-Aid (2-3 of each flavor)
- Sunny Day
Now comes the time to start dying your yarn. There are 4 steps.
- Open one package of Kool Aid and sprinkle it on one side of your basin. Open a package of the second flavor and sprinkle it over the other side of your basin. Let your yarn sit in the sun. Depending on how sunny and hot it is outside, after about 1 hour or more, the water will be clear and all the Kool Aid dye will be absorbed into the yarn.
- Flip the yarn over to expose the bottom portion and place back in the basin. Repeat step 1.
- After both sides had been dyed, check your yarn to see if you are pleased with how the dye has turned out. As you can see, the center of my skein did not absorb any of the orange Kool Aid.
- If needed, you can do a third round of dying to ensure that all your yarn has been dyed.
Now that your yarn has been completely dyed, find a place in the sun for it to dry. I find this tree in my front yarn is a great place to dry my newly dyed yarn. Isn’t it simply gorgeous? Once dry, twist it back into a skein so that it is ready for your next knitting/crochet project.
Let’s take a look at this yarn again…up close. Isn’t this orange cheery? Won’t it make a super fun pair of socks?
And this blue. It’s much more subtle than the orange but I think it is absolutely gorgeous! Won’t it make a beautiful cowl or scarf?
So go out and pick up some Kool Aid today! You’ll have so much fun creating your own beautiful skein of yarn!