Last Saturday, I was at my local Wal-Mart and passed by their seasonal baking display. Oh, there were so many goodies, especially if you like pumpkin spice goodies! Yesterday, I shared my recipe for Instant Pumpkin Spice Cappuccino and it’s oh, so yummy. Two of the ingredients are pumpkin spice Jell-O instant pudding and Coffee-Mate Pumpkin Spice Creamer. Well, another goodie that caught my yet were…drumroll, please…..
Yes, pumpkin spice Hershey kisses! If you can tell the “kiss” in the lower right corner of the package, these are not “brown” chocolate. Nope, there’s a kind of a white truffle-y center with a white chocolate pumpkin spice shell. They are yummy but sweet. So, I thought they would be a great addition to my Soft Ginger Cookie Recipe.
This recipe doesn’t create crispy, snappy cookies but a softer cookie with the bold, rich flavor of molasses and spices. So, the addition of the Hershey’s kiss adds a wonderful tough of sweetness. Oh, and doesn’t the kiss really make this humble cookie look truly special? If you like ginger/molasses cookies you’ll LOVE these, trust me!
Are you ready to make a batch? Beware, you’ll have friends and family begging for more!
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 5 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup softened butter or coconut oil or a blend (I used 1/2 cup butter 1/4 cup coconut oil)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. If your egg is not at room temperature, place in a bowl of warm water.
- Place all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg & salt) in a bowl and sift together. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, add your butter/coconut oil and mix until soft . Add the sugar and blend until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, warmed egg, vanilla & lemon zest and mix thoroughly.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix. Your dough will not be very sticky.
- Form the dough into balls, roll in sugar, and place on a cookie sheet, leaving about 1″ between each cookie. Bake for 8-10 minutes .
- Remove from the oven and while still on the cookie sheet, place one Hershey Kiss in the center (the heat from the cookie will melt the kiss). All the cookies to cool on the baking sheet 10 minutes and then carefully move them to a cooling rack.
This recipe will make approximately 3.5 dozen cookies.