Have you ever noticed just how amazing fresh baked goods smell…especially yeast breads? This is why my kids almost always beg for a fresh baked pretzel whenever we stop by the mall. The yummy aromas wafting out of the pretzel stand are virtually impossible to resist. Well, why not experience some of this deliciousness at home by making your own everything pretzels? It’s easier than you think. Trust me!
Okay, so the first thing you need to do is to make a yeast dough. You’ll start off by dissolving some sugar & yeast in warm water. Then in a bowl you will mix flour, melted butter, salt, everything spice blend and your water/sugar/yeast mixture and mix together. Then knead your dough, adding flour until it is nice and elastic. Place in a warm place to rise (1-1.5 hours). Below is a picture of my dough before rising and after rising.
Next, you will divide your dough into 8 equal pieces, roll into 30″ ropes, twist into pretzel shapes, and place on a baking sheet that has either been greased or lined with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat (like mine). Set aside in a warm place to rest.
Next, you will preheat your oven, and in a pot, place a water/baking soda mixture on to boil. This caustic solution is what gives pretzels that distinctive flavor and helps them brown. Once your water/baking soda mixture is boiling, boil your pretzels (one at a time) for 1 minute, then place back onto your cookie sheet & sprinkle with some everything spice blend.
Bake your pretzels for 15 minutes or so. Remove from the oven and oh, don’t they look amazing?
Trust me, these will be devoured in no time! If you’d like to save some for later, once they have cooled, you can put them in a freezer safe container and freeze for later. Just reheat in the microwave at a later date.
Are you drooling yet? Ready to make a batch? Well, here’s the recipe!
- 1 Tbsp (or package) dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water (105-110 Degrees F)
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp everything spice blend
- 3 cups all purpose flour (I used unbleached)
- 6 cups cold water
- ½ cup baking soda
- Dissolve yeast & sugar in a warm water. Let sit until the yeast begins to bubble.
- In a large bowl, add 2 cups flour, butter, everything spice blend, salt & water/yeast/sugar mixture. Mix well.
- Gradually add the remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Return the dough to your bowl, cover with a towel, and set in a warm place. Let your dough rise until double, approximately 1-1.5 hours.
- Once your dough has risen, take a baking sheet and either grease it or line it with parchment paper or a silicon mat. Set aside.
- Divide your dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope approximately 30 inches long and twist into a pretzel shape. Place twisted pretzels onto your prepared baking sheet and place in a warm place to rest.
- While your pretzels rest, preheat your oven for 350 Degrees F. Add the cold water & baking soda to a large pot and heat until boiling.
- Once your water solution is boiling, drop each pretzel, one at a time, into the water solution and boil for 1 minute each (30 seconds on each side). Remove your boiled pretzel from the water and place it back onto your baking sheet. Sprinkle everything seasoning blend on the top of your boiled pretzel. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy your pretzels hot or freeze them for later.