Well Christmas is just 2 days away. Are you ready? I must admit that I’m now working on my holiday baking. You may be thinking that I’m super behind….well, you’re right and you’re wrong. I am a bit behind but I’m also on time? How can I be behind and on time? Well, you see, my husband is a small business owner and so I am working on putting together our “thank you” gifts for his employees.
If you can imagine a minty, sugar cookie, then you can imagine these cookies. Here are the basic steps.
- Make the dough
- Tint half red
- Roll out each color of dough into rectangles
- Lay one dough on top of the other and then roll into a pinwheel log
- Refrigerate the dough log 3 hours
- Slice and bake
See, not too hard….except for the waiting for your dough to firm up so you can slice it.
Also, I love that they are so festive but don’t require any decorating. Are you ready to make some for your family, friends, and neighbors? Here ‘s how.
- 1¼ cups (2½ sticks) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- red food coloring
- With an electric beater, mix the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla & peppermint extract and mix thoroughly.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to make a soft dough.
- Divide your dough in half and tint half with red food coloring.
- Place the red dough between two sheets of waxed paper (or parchment paper) and roll into a 14″ x 3″ rectangle. Repeat with the plain dough.
- Place the red dough (removing the paper) onto the plain dough and then roll into a pinwheel “log”.
- Wrap the log in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Slice the dough ¼” thick and place cookies onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then cool on wire racks.