Every time we go to the movies, the smell of freshly popped popcorn always calls me over to the snack bar. How about you? Well, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. The fresh roasted nut counter at Whole Foods does the same thing to me! OMG, the smell of freshly roasted nuts is like heaven.
So, I got to thinking. My youngest’s favorite spice is cumin and we all LOVE almonds in our house. Now, I’ve shared THIS RECIPE for Cumin Almonds that creates a simply savory almond snack. But what if we added the extra “crunch” that candying a nut adds while keeping the earthy warmth of cumin, plus a bit of spice. Well, let me tell you…it turned out great!
Warning! This recipe creates a slightly sweet almond with subtle cumin and chipotle undertones which makes these goodies very addictive! Are you ready for the recipe?
Candied Cumin Almonds
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 Tbsp coconut or peanut oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
- Combine the sugar, cumin and chipotle pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- In a pan, over medium high to high heat, heat/melt the oil.
- Add the almonds to your pan and stir constantly for 3 minutes (your nuts will begin to make popping sounds after about 1.5 to 2 minutes)
- Add the sugar/spice mix to your pan and continuing to stir constantly for 2 more minutes (at first the sugar/spice mix will kind of clump together but it will end up glazing your almonds).
- Remove from heat and place on a cookie sheet to cool.
I’m sorry I didn’t take more pictures of the process. This is a quick recipe and the nuts can easily burn so you MUST STIR CONSTANTLY!
I can’t wait to try other spice combinations. What spices would you recommend the next time I candy some almonds?