Ever since my daughter saw “Despicable Me” a few years ago, she’s LOVED minions. Well, when we went and saw “Despicable Me 2”, the love affair started all over again! I have to admit, they are pretty darn cute. In fact, I wouldn’t mind having a few minions too.
As you all know, I have a love affair with my Goodwill. It’s huge with the best prices ever. If you walk down their basket/silk flower/vase aisle, you will find a sign that says, “all vases $0.10 unless otherwise marked”. Yes, you read that correctly….$0.10 vases. I grabbed one that I thought would make a great storage crock.
After I got home, I looked around at some of my leftover crafting supplies and looked at this vase again. I then had an “a-ha” moment. Here’s what I made for my daughter.
Isn’t he super cute? Well, let me tell you, it’s super easy and oh so inexpensive. Here’s how you can make your own.
DIY Minion Storage Crock
- 1 glass vase/crock
- 1 or 2 lids (depending on how many eyes you want your minion to have)
- yellow spray paint
- silver or grey spray paint
- blue felt
- black felt
- white felt
- 4 black buttons
- black sharpie marker
- hot glue gun
Take your lid(s) (mine is one from an old plastic container whose base had cracked) and spray paint silver or grey to completely cover. It only took me 1 coat of paint to completely cover my lid.
Now you need to cut your felt. You need to cut the following pieces:
- 1 piece of black felt for your goggle band.
- 1 or 2 pieces of blue felt for your minion’s pants (I needed to cut 2 because my felt square wasn’t wide enough to provide a blue piece that would reach completely around the crock.)
- 1 or 2 circle(s) of white felt to glue to your goggles for your eye(s)
- 1 or 2 circle(s) of black felt for pupil(s)
- Cut 2 arc shaped pieces of blue felt for your minion’s overall straps
Using your glue gun, attach your felt pieces and goggle to your yellow crock/vase. Glue on your 4 buttons to embellish your overall straps. Draw on a mouth with a sharpie marker
Isn’t he a cutie?
By using thrifted and upcycled materials, this project will cost you less than $1! So, will you make your minion with one eye like mine or with two eyes?
NOTE: Since I used two pieces of blue felt for his pants, I made each piece the exact same size. Then, I made sure the two “seams” (that were created when I glued the pants pieces) would be on the sides under the “arm openings” This was to make the project look symmetrical.