My maternal grandmother was of German and Czech descent. This meant that vinegar was one of her go to “spices”. As a child I remember her making a cucumber salad where all she did was the following.
- Peel the cucumbers
- Slice the cucumbers VERY thin using the vegetable slice blade of her box grater
- Pour on white distilled vinegar
As simple as this recipe is, it really was delish. Well, in honor of her, I’d like to share this “Grandma inspired” salad. It’s light and cool…perfect for these hot days.
Dilly Cucumber Tomato Salad
- One cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 dry pint of grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar
Place the prepared cucumber, tomatoes, and green onions in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the dill weed, black pepper, and vinegar and mix thoroughly. Pour your vinegar dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and place in the refrigerator minimum of 1 hour (up to overnight) for the flavors to blend. Enjoy!
If you like dill pickles, you will LOVE cooling off with this salad.