Okay, how many of you have been, or currently are, involved in a group that had a potluck event? At first blush you think, “a fun evening with fellowship, a chance to sample new foods, and it won’t be an expensive evening.” Then, the day of the event, you have a sick child, you have a teething child that needs constant comfort, and you have to pick up your husband at the airport from a business trip at 2 pm. You now think, “OMG I have that potluck this evening, when am I going to find time to prepare something!” I have a solution for you (I got this recipe for SOB salad from my sister-in law).
Do you own a can opener? Do you own a cutting board and knife? Do you own a citrus reamer or juicer of some sort? Then, you can make SOB salad! This is basically an open and dump recipe. And you make it ahead of time so you could make it the evening or morning BEFORE the event. No stress the day of! Check it out!
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with jalapenos or chilis
- 1 bunch green onions sliced thin
- ½ to 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the black beans, corn, and tomatoes/jalapenos, green onions & cilantro in a casserole or dish
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lime juice, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and salt
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and stir to coat thoroughly.
- Cover your dish/casserole and place in the refrigerator for 4 hour to overnight to marinate.