Making Your Own Dairy Products #1 – Make Your Own Yogurt

Okay, I just posted this earlier today and realized I have a few “homemade dairy products” ideas I’d like to try and share with you.  So, I’ve decided to host my first series, “Making Your Own Dairy Products”.  There will be a new post every Saturday!  I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.  Now, to my original post for today!

In our house, we probably go through at least 2 quarts of yogurt each week. I like to purchase whole milk, non-homogenized yogurt when possible.  The challenge is that few groceries stock this type and they are not located locally!  Also, all those yogurt container are not recyclable in our area and I can only store so many for leftovers.  Solution…make my own and it super easy!  Do you own a crock pot, some canning jars (or some similar jars), a measuring cup, and a wisk?  Then you have all the tools you need to make  yogurt!  Here’s how I do it!

Homemade Yogurt

Ingredients:
1/2 gallon milk (I used a non-homogenized local whole milk)
1/2 cup of yogurt with active cultures (dannon, seven stars, stonyfield, brown cow..check the label)
Optional Ingredients:
1/2 to 1 cup sweetener(s) of choice. (Cane sugar, honey, maple syrup, truvia, agave nectar, etc)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Equipment:
Crock pot (mine is a 5 qt)
Liquid measuring cup
Wisk
2 quart canning jars + 1 pint canning jar or equivalent w/lids
Old butter tub, frosting container, or small jar to hold 1/2 cup
Ladle or spoon
Towels
Instructions:
Gather your crock pot (make sure it is clean) and your milk
Pour your milk into the crock pot, put the lid on, and cook on low for 2.5 hours.  (I usually set my oven timer to remind me when time is up)
If you are going to add sweetener(s) and flavorings, you will add them at the end of the first 2.5 hours.
Note, with whole milk,  your yogurt is not as sour as when it is made with skim milk.  As a result, I do not add as much sweetener.  In my last batch I added 1/2 cup of organic cane sugar and 1 Tbsp of vanilla.
So, if you are adding sweetener/flavoring, measure it out, add it to your crock pot and wisk so it is thoroughly mixed in.
After you have mixed in your sweeteners/flavoring (or if you are making plain yogurt), with the lid on, turn your crock pot off and leave it sit for 2.5 hours (I will set my oven timer again)
Now, your milk is ready for you to add your yogurt culture/starter.
In you measuring cup, measure 1/2 cup yogurt with active cultures and add 1 cup of your warm milk (mixture) and wisk thoroughly.  Pour this into your crock pot and wisk thoroughly.  Replace the lid and let this sit while you get your jars ready.
Wash your 3 jars in as hot of water as you can stand and rinse well in HOT water.  You want your jars warm.
Now fill your warm jars with your warm milk/yogurt mixture and put their lids on.  Now you need to gather your towels so you can insulate your jars.  I placed a folded towel underneath the jars and then wrapped 3 towels over them.
Ugly,  I know.  Let your yogurt sit overnight (8-12 hours).  In the morning, look what you will have!

Now, I take 1/2 cup and place in a separate container labeled “yogurt starter” for my next batch.
  Place these 3 jars and your starter in the refrigerator and chill for a minimum of 4 hours.  Enjoy!
4you
{Click here to read more}
Loading Facebook Comments ...

Comments

1. says

I have always been afraid to make my own, when we were kids my mom made it and we were sick for weeks in the hospital. I still would like to try because I love it. It looks yummy. Thanks for sharing!

2. says

Wow, I have never thought about making my own yogurt! What a wonderful idea! I am now your newest follower, I followed through blogspot, where you just click follow at the top. What is the difference in that and Google Friend Connect? Please explain! I’m lost apparently! : )

3. says

I have NEVER thought to do this! I want to try it so bad though, I’m am also very nervous hahaha But your instructions are awesome and easy to follow so we’ll see how mine comes out :)
    Stay Crafty x0x0
    Jess

4. says

This sounds so interesting! I’m definitely going to try it. I’d love for you to share this at my link party tomorrow.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

5. Anonymous says

So I am going to ask what could be an obvious question… The yougert sits out overnight with the towels as an insulator? It is not refrigerated during that time?

• says

You do not refrigerate the yogurt until it has sat overnight, insulated by the towels. It is kind of like sourdough starter. The yogurt needs to be at a warm enough temperature for the cultures to grow.

6. says

I made my own yogurt for about 4 months and loved it. Then, I had about 3 batches that were no thicker than milk and didn’t taste quite right. I finally quit making it. Our kitchen temperature was different near the end since the seasons had changed. I wonder if that affected it. Any ideas? Gail

7. says

Have you ever heard of a “Wonder Box”? If not, then Google it and find out. It’s great for homemade yogurt. You start with the stove and then let it sit for 8-12 hours. I can start a batch at night and have it done in the morning. The best part is that I don’t have to leave an appliance on while it’s doing it’s thing. We love homemade yogurt over here.

8. says

Wow – I didn’t know it was so easy. I want to try it sometime. I’m eating more and more yogurt for breakfast, so it would be fun to make my own. Thanks for sharing.

I’m pinning this. Thanks for linking up to the Take it on Tuesday blog hop!!

9. says

We learn something new everyday!! I had no idea we could make our own yogurt!

Thanks for linking up at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality linky party! :)

Christine
    xoxo

10. says

This is a good idea…I tried this sometimes ago after I recieved the recipe from a friend.
    thanks for sharing with Midweek Fiesta,I want to try homemade yoghurt again…